Thursday, March 26, 2020

TKAM Chapter 1 discussion thread

Please Read:  Ok guys, I am proud that your are working.  I am taking a step backward with your class.  The journals for 1-3 and packets for 1-3 are all that should be completed right now.

I have not changed the www.turnitin.com date for the next assignments... but I will.  When I told you in class that I will update those dates accordingly, it was a promise.  Ignore the journals beyond 1-3.  In a few days we will complete 4-6.

I thought commenting on each chapter via this blog would allow us to talk and analyze the novel.  Your class does such a great job with it.  I also want to make sure we are all comprehending what's going on in the novel.  This seems to be the only way I can touch base.  We will discuss ch 2 on Mon and ch. 3 prob on Wed.  I can move quickly on those since everyone has them read.

We will discuss ch 4-5 after Wednesday.  I am trying to give us a bit of normal.  Ignore the dates on the turnitin.com.  Only consult with dates on this blog.

Please don't stress, there is enough to worry about in these strange times.  I just want to have fun talking about the book.  No pressure, let's just bring your best discussions to the blog.

If you have packet questions, also ask them in the comments.

Let's help each other enjoy the book.  Let's have fun!
________________________________________________________________________
Hey Beautifuls!
Let's have some fun with TKAM.
*Yes, you should complete the packet (1-3 and begin 4-5
*Yes, you should complete the journal 1-3 and turn it in to  www.turnitin.com......Now that that's clear, let's start from the beginning and have some discussion.

Link to my notes on Ch 1: (You can refer to these at any time!)

**Directions:  Using the comment link, respond to my topic below, OR create a comment that you want to talk about  OR ask a question (Your own or ones from the packet)

1.You should post a response using the comment link at the bottom of the blog that says COMMENTS.  
-Please include your first name or initials.....NOT your full name...We know who you are!  
2.Respond to other people's comments.
3. Make your response clear....Make sure we  know which topic you are commenting on.

4. We can have great discussions here...and if you'd like, we can have a real discussions here.  My blog allows for unlimited comments.....just keep them Mrs. Christian rated!!!!!!!

Topics: **see directions above,
A. How would you describe Scout's family?
B. What is your impression of Boo?  Would you fear him?
C. Calpurnia says Mr. Radley is "the meanest man God ever blew breath into."  What do you think about the Mr. Radley/ the Radley family?

Let's comment guys!  I can't wait to hear from you!  


Please post Today through Monday, 3/30 at 10 am.    (I will put up the chapter 2 blog for comments on Monday, 3/30 @ 10:10am.  SA...I included AM just for you!!!!!!!





5 comments:

journalism1 said...

I immediately appreciate Scout's chill attitude. She says EXACTLY what she is thinking! She is quite sarcastic about her family, especially Simon Finch and his "holier than thou" attitude as he wears expensive clothes, and is quite greedy!

journalism1 said...

I am Journalism 1. It is the name I picked to publish my blogs.

As for Calpurnia's comment about Mr. Radley, I think it's fitting to the children's description of Boo and his family. I think it explains why the Radley family has so many "issues".

Trace said...

I am going to comment on Topic C. I think that the Radley family is very strange and they also take an odd stand in Maycomb. For example, there are many rumors surrounding them and their son. Instead of taking a stand against the town of Maycomb, they decided to remain mysterious towards the people. They are mean and nasty to everyone that attempts to speak to them. They also just let the people talk ill of them. If it were my family, I would not let anyone talk bad about them. They also act like outcasts towards the town, and do their own peculiar thing within the community. Overall, the Radley family is very strange and hopefully we learn more about them and their problems before the novel ends.

bhscomp1 said...

Trace, I totally agree. It seems like everything that happens in Maycomb is the result of the Radley's. Why do they tolerate that? However, if you listen to the neighbors, they're just a fixture in the nieghborhood.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for being anonymous, I just don’t feel comfortable with people knowing who posted this:
Topic B: What is your impression of Boo? Would you fear him?

Boo, in my perspective, is seen as a complex character. He starts off in the wrong crowd, which slowly morphs into him, joining a pseudo-gang. As time goes on, we find out he gets arrested and goes to trial. The only reason he did not get sent with the other boys to “state industrial school”(pg. 12-13) was that his father opted for Boo to be under his watch and “gave no further trouble.” (pg. 13, p.1)

We learn from Scout that, since then, “the doors of the Radley house were closed on weekdays as well as Sundays,” and “Mr. Radley’s boy was not seen again for fifteen years.”(pg. 13, p. 2) The fact that the doors are closed, almost every day of the year, and Boo Radley isolated in that house, for fifteen years, begs the question of what happened during all that time? We have no information on what happened to Boo. For all we know, those fifteen years of isolation could have led to him stabbing a pair of scissors into his father’s leg. (pg. 13, p. 4)

After this event, Mr. Radley said:” no Radley was going to any asylum.” (pg. 13, p. 6) Then, Mr. Radley proceeded to admit that Boo needed some form of punishment, especially since they could not ”put him in jail alongside Negroes, ” which made Boo get locked up in the courthouse basement. However, it was unknown when Boo would be let out, with Miss Crawford saying: ”some of the town council told Mr. Radley that if he didn't take Boo back, Boo would die of mold from the damp.” If the town council had to get involved in telling Mr. Radley to take Boo back, it could show that Mr. Radley and Boo did not have a great relationship from the beginning. With Radley joining the gang earlier on, that could have shown signs of their bad relationship.

The part that gets me the most, however, is when Jem figured that ”Mr. Radley kept him chained to the bed most of the time,” to explain how Mr. Radley kept Boo out of sight. Add it with Caplurnia’s comment on Mr. Radley being the meanest man alive, (pg. 14) it gives a clue into Mr. Radley’s personality and a potential lead to his relationship with Boo.

In all, with the mysterious presence around the Radley’s, not much is known about their family dynamic and personalities. However, Boo, with clues hinting at his relationship with his father being shifty, seems more of a character who got off the wrong side of the bed, spiraling into an endless cycle that seems unstable, at best. In a personal manner, I do not or would fear Boo, but I can relate to him, in certain aspects of his life, that show uncertainty on what is in store for the future and his relationship with his father.
---
Note: While typing this, I took a glimpse at the first online link of TKAM and under Calpurnia’s remark about Mr. Radley, I found this:

”This indicates that Calpurnia knew something about the unfeeling way Mr. Radley treated Boo. Because this is one of the rare moments when Calpurnia criticizes the actions of a white man, it emphasizes the severity of Mr. Radley’s “meanness.” He was stingy no only with his money, but with any form of paternal affection.”
---
I thought I should add this because it fits with the theory of Boo’s relationship with his father.

PS: I decided to write this past midnight since I could not sleep. And, due to it being so late and typing this on my phone, I could not use Grammarly. So, if there are some mistakes, that is the reason why! Sorry about that!
To anyone who is reading this, have a good day/morning!
Double PS: I got sluggish with page and paragraph citation later on while typing this, so if I have the energy, I will be doing that tomorrow morning.